Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pumping


I am finally pumping! It is a little crazing because I thought my life revolved around Jackson's 2 hour feeding schedule, but now with the addition of the pump it definitely effects scheduling activities. Pumping is much more complicated than I anticipated. I thought that I could just pump any time I wanted, but no, that is not the case. I am lucky because just about .25 miles away from my house is a special store called the "Lactation Station" that specializes in breast feeding. I went in to ask them some questions and took my pump in with me. A friend of mine had given me her old pump. They told me that the pump should be serviced (cleaned and sanitized) and that I should use all new accessories because milk protein can remain from the previous user. I had all that done. My biggest question for them was when should I pump? With feeding him every 2 hours it did not seem feasible to fit pumping in too. The woman who owns the stores said to begin pumping 1-2 times a day 30 minutes after I breast feed. She said if he was sleeping at night more than 2 hours, which he was, that I could let my milk store build up and pump at night before I go to bed. She warned me that I would need to keep on a regular schedule because my body would be on a schedule and my milk would come in on that schedule.

I took all of her advice and went home to begin my pumping routine. The first few times I pumped I think I got about 1-2 tablespoons out of each side. As I kept up on the schedule I began to produce anywhere between 1-3 oz per side. I definitely see an increase in milk production when I stay hydrated. Last weekend I did get off my schedule and it was amazing how much this decreased my milk production and it took about a week to get back on schedule with good milk production.


The first time Dustin gave him a bottle was a cool experience for him. I think it made him feel much more involved. For me, the first time, I have to admit I cried a little. I was so happy for Dustin, but for me it felt like I had lost a little importance...I know that is not true, but it was just the feeling I got. I was the sole provider and all the sudden he could go on without me if he needed too. Now that I have come to terms with this loss of control, it is a reassuring feeling to know that if I am gone for more than 2 hours he will not be screaming because he is starving to death. While we could now go out and leave him for more that 2 hours that has not happened yet...I'm just not ready.

He has had a couple of outings to Layton High School football games (my clinic covers their injuries) and he loves football. The first game was in Salt Lake and Dustin came with me and the second game he and I went just the two of us. He is so good...I put him in his sling and he is awake for the first half, but by the second half he is asleep.



Overall, things are going well. He has his occasional fussy moments, but for the most part we are cruising along and I am not looking forward to my return to work in 4 weeks.

2 comments:

Brian D. said...

Nice, bring him along slowly. First some high-school games, and then ute games, and then when he's really ready for the big time, bring him to Autzen with some ear plugs and we'll show him a good time!

Team Wilco said...

Hey Kristen!

Just a note to say that I never had any luck with the electric breast pumps. I used the manual one because I felt like I needed to have control over it. Either the milk was coming or it was not. I've heard the electric ones will really work if you get used to them though. But if you aren't getting more than a few tablespoons, you can always try a cheap manual one. Also, if you feed him right after you pump then you can get your supply up. And the breastfeeding tea kinda helps too.

Just a few tips from a former pumper,

Have Fun!